Monday, June 29, 2009

My intro and how I see myself in relation to the digital world

My name is Lisa Kilburn, and for the sake of this blog I will go by LisaMarie. I recently turned 24 and was given the opportunity to take this short, but hopefully very beneficial class. I am currently actively seeking employment as a Spanish or ESL teacher. I became interested in teaching during my final semester of my undergrad at the University of Rhode Island. I worked as an assistant teacher in an ESL classroom at Hope High School in Providence, RI. After graduation, it was clear that I had no idea how to use my degree in Political Science and Spanish, so I decided to go to Spain and travel a bit as a graduation gift to myself. I ended up falling in love with the Spanish language, culture, and people. I just couldn't leave, so with the help of new friends, I enrolled at the University of Barcelona. In a short time I became certified to teach, and began working right away. I stayed for 2 years before returning.
So here I am, 24 and searching for a job, like so many others. When I'm not searching for a job, I like to travel, actually I love to travel. I also like to read, and write. Occasional exercise is a must of course, so when possible I like to take yoga classes. (Bikram yoga is my fav!)

Now, moving on to how I see myself in relation to the digital world. I suppose I would be considered a digital native, although I have my doubts and I ocassionally love to escape from the digital world. I check my email everyday atleast once, check facebook obsessively (yes, I admit it) text instead of call, and drive a prius. Right now my life is especially digital because I am applying to jobs using my computer, and I must admit that it gets frusterating. I have people telling me to go to the schools that I want to apply to, and then when I do, I am sent away because only online applications are accepted. So, I suppose it's safe to say that I am a digital native, but by no means a digital expert. As a teacher, I would love to use media sources more in the classroom, but feel bound by countless restrictions. I am hoping this class will help me learn new ways to incorporate new media into the classroom, and possibly find ways to get around the rigid restrictions that are in so many public schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment