Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 1 - Reflection

The immediate response to my first day of class was "wow." I was amazed by how fast class flew by. I was 100% engaged. As my first graduate level course I was both excited and nervous to start, but I quickly felt at ease. I feel that this course is going to be very beneficial for me, and also for future students.
I don't exactly know how I feel about Prensky's categorization of digital natives vs. digital immigrants yet. His theory has certainly got my brain working. (This is my first blog, and I'm supposed to be a native?) I am willing to accept that I am a digital native, but I'm not up to top speed, or "twitch speed." The question that keeps playing over and over again in my mind is "how do we make digital education relevant?" I really feel that it is my responsibility as a teacher to embrace digital education and begin to break through the boundaries of public school education. Hopefully this class will help me start to sort out the ways in which I can do that. (Im tapping on the glass.)
The Mike Wesch video really made me think. I agree with most of what he said, and will without a doubt look him up on YouTube. The Marshall McLuhan quote also resonated back to me. I decided to look up other quotes by him but none stood out quite as much as the quote from class. (could be due to the image)"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror. We march backwards into the future." Take a look at some other McLuhanisms.
After day one, I am already learning how to use media less as entertainment and more for learning! This is a good sign.
See you all in class tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment